After the C-section, I followed Annie down to the NICU and stayed until she was settled. Then I hurried out to the waiting room to update whomever might be there. As I came around the corner, it seemed as if our friends were filling up half the room.
The first person I locked eyes with was my dear friend Wendy but I wasn't in earshot yet so I just cracked a feeble smile to let her know things were okay and she immediately burst into tears.
The following day, after Annie came out of her 5-hour surgery and I got the news that she had pulled through like a champ, I called my wife in her room and gave her the good news - it sounded as if everyone on her hospital floor was bursting into tears of joy.
Nurses, doctors, doctor's spouses, other patients, friends, family and an army of people we don't even know but whom have been e-mailing and commenting on the blog have all been praying and pulling for us. We are so utterly grateful. I don't know how we could get through this without all your love and support.
Not to mention things like this (you may have to scroll down to the video posted on 8/11) - good lord in heaven above. I told my wife that we are going to spend the rest of our lives trying to be worthy of the great friends we have.
That being said - I am sure you would rather hear about the girls so here is the update:
Holly was discharged from the hospital yesterday but they let her stay in her room one more night for free. When I arrived at the NICU at 5:30am this morning, Holly was sitting in the waiting room - clearly upset.
It turns out that Annabelle was in pain a good portion of the evening and did not get any sleep. they put her back on pain medication but Holly was told that she was not allowed to nurse her until Annie had gotten some rest first.
I took Holly upstairs to her room for some breakfast and she fell asleep in short order after that. I went down to the NICU and checked in on Annabelle (who was sleeping soundly) and chatted with the nurse who confirmed everything Holly had told me.
When the doctors told me they were taking Annie off her pain meds Sunday night, I was both relieved and trouble at the same time. The fact that she didn't need a bunch of drugs in her system was good news but you would think that after two major surgeries, a person would be in pain. Why wasn't she in pain? Was the neurological damage that extensive?
The doctors assured me that any discomfort would show up as an elevated temperature, blood pressure and heart rate - not to mention her little expression. I spent most of my time in the NICU yesterday with my eyes glued to her digital read-out but never saw any indication that she was anything other than comfortable. That all must have changed last night.
So while I am saddened that wee-one had a tough night, I am also relieved that she has the ability to feel discomfort.
It was a tough night for my girls but they are resting and regrouping for the next assault.
So what is the next step?
Barring any unforeseen troubles, it is all about recovering and going home at this point. Holly and Annie are bonding and nursing just fine for the most part. Holly will be going home this evening for the first time which I expect to be difficult on her to say the least ( I am considering sleeping in my clothes for the inevitable 2am "Let's go back" nudge from the wife).
Yesterday I asked the plastic surgeon when we could expect to have Annie's stitches removed and he said, "A week from Thursday when you come to the office for a check up".
Uh, wha?
Apparently he is under the impression that Annie will be an outpatient by next week. Of course, he can only speak for the plastic surgery portion - we will still need the thumbs up from the neurology and orthopedic teams - not to mention the doc in charge of the NICU.
I don't see how you go from THIS last Friday:

To going home a week later.
Then again, our little girl has been full of surprises ever since she arrived.
On a side note:
On my drive home last night I pictured dancing in the kitchen (me and my wife's preferred home dance floor) with little Annie in my arms. Then the thought struck me - "What if she isn't able to use her legs?"
"Then we will dance twice as much until she can" was the thought that immediately followed.
Then I log on this morning and find this video posted by my niece.
Thank you for all your continued prayers and support - we aren't out of the NICU woods yet but we are making progress!
GO ANNABELLE!
2 comments:
You three are so loved! She will dance, wether it be in your kitchen or not... she will always dance in your hearts.
enjoy all the goodness around you!
GO LINDENS! I LOVE THIS FAMILY! You are amazing, all three of you!
Not to mention miss "Hi, I'm Holly. I just birthed a child and look gorgeous!" over here...
Post a Comment