First of all, I should clarify: Normally, plastic surgery would not be involved in a case of Spina Bifida. In Annabelle's case, the opening on her back was so large that the neurosurgeon was not confident he could get her back properly closed so he called in the specialists.
We are currently seeing the PS once a week until the last portion of Annabelle's incision on her back is healed.
To make a long story short, there is a portion of the incision directly above the curvature of the spine that is about the size of a quarter which is predictably having trouble healing.
The PS sent us home yesterday with instructions to change out the bandage every other day. It is really hard to prevent any pressure to this spot on Annie's back since it sticks out prominently. The best thing for Annabelle's back would be if she slept on her stomach without any coverings. But of course, newborns have trouble sleeping if they are left unswaddled and sleeping on their stomach is cited as one of the main causes of SIDS.
So we are trying to keep her lying on her side most of the time.
Next Wednesday, a home health nurse will be coming out to the house to check on us. Thursday is our next PS appointment followed by Pediatrics on Friday.
The doctors appointments are starting to spread out a little and we are grateful for that. We just need to get the incision on her back healed so that we can move forward with orthopedics on casting her legs and straightening her feet!
1 comment:
Praise You in This Storm
I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.
Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Praise-you-in-this-storm-lyrics-Casting-Crowns/1299620F9241AA074825707000090A78
Post a Comment