Monday, August 25, 2008

Pediatric Update

So we visited the Pediatrician for the first time on Friday and we were very impressed. He came recommended by the nurses at the NICU and when I called his scheduling folks and explained our situation, they gave me his direct e-mail and invited me to contact him directly. He called me back the next day (Thursday) and we scheduled the appt for Friday.

Other than being just an all-around sensible, knowledgeable and compassionate care giver, he mentioned a couple of things that really made an impression regarding Annabelle. His point was that it is very important that we not view Annabelle as this bundle of health issues in the form of an infant but that we view her as a normal healthy child who has a couple of things that need caring for.

To quote the good doc: "Despite the obvious, what you have here in Annabelle is a brand-new car that you are driving off the lot. If you give it the gas, this car is going to go!"

Another thing he mentioned is that we want to watch Annie for an elevated temperature because that could indicate infections associated with her surgeries.

I told him that we were regularly tracking her temperature and, somewhat to my surprise, he said "Stop".

He explained that we need to accept her as a normal child and start acting like normal parents. If she is fussy, turn her over on her other side. If that doesn't work, check her diaper. If that doesn't work, feed her. If that doesn't work, rock her . . . and so on. In other words, once we have exhausted all the normal things that bring comfort to a newborn, only then should we be taking her temperature - just as typical parents of a typical newborn would.

This really was a new revelation for us and I, for one, could feel the weight lift ever-so-slightly.

What a great feeling to have full confidence in your Pediatrician! For the time being, he wants to see us on a weekly basis to monitor weight etc.

Next up? Neurology at 10:45am today followed by Orthopedics at 1pm!

My goodness . . .

4 comments:

F said...

The relationship with the pediatrician replaces the one your wife had with her OB (where you told everything to and confided worst fears). So glad you found one that you really like, that is HUGE. I pray for Annabelle everyday and check for updates.

Much warmth and hugs,
Frances from Austin Texas

Kori said...

Sounds like you found a great pediatrician!! Praying for you and Annabelle several times a day and will continue! Thank you for updating so regularly even with all you have on your plate! It really makes us feel apart of this even though we don't know you!

Sean said...

Your pediatrician sounds pretty level-headed and wise. He'll be a great guy to have in your corner.

Anonymous said...

I've been following along your wondrous journey since Annie was born. I happen to find this blog through a friend and by coincidence, I was one of the nurses who met Annie when she was born...
The first thing I said out loud when I saw her was "oh, my, she's beautiful." When I heard her beautiful name, I thought it was perfect.
I am praying for you regularly. What's heavy on my heart is that there are some nurses I work with who don't understand the decisions parents make in bringing children into the world who have medical problems. I guess in a way, we de-sensitize ourselves at work in order to care for sick babies. It's something I admit to having at times. But I am praying to the Lord that I don't become cold and insensitive.
Your daughter is beautiful and breathing and eating... all things I'm sure specialists have told you she may never do. It's not about being in denial, it's about having faith in God in whatever His plans are for you. I praise God for showing me your family and for helping me to realize that there is an incredible journey for our babies even after the NICU!