Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Had to Share

From an e-mail from Auntie Joye this morning:

About those leg casts to help straighten Annabelle's feet.......this is just a note to let you know Mark and Scott both had a series of leg casts as little ones......to straighten their feet. They learned to walk in them......stumping around like little dictators!!!! My hips were bruised from the casts clunking against them when I picked them up......and I had to turn them in their sleep. But.....................they have straight feet.....can run like the wind....and I have never been able to keep up. Scott, when he was about 10, had bilateral leg casts when his knee joints were wearing out from being the little league catcher. He won a sympathy vote and was elected class president that year from his wheelchair. Of course, he made very good use of his popularity and had Mark and his friends rig up a sling so they could hoist him up to the tree house.

All of that to say......honey bunches.....the story is just beginning.....many adventures to come that will give you the giggles as well as concern. One of the things I can giggle at NOW, is Mark assuring me he could get Scott home from school in his wheelchair......I didn't have to come and get them. Wellllllllllllllllllllll.......I was standing out in the front yard watching them at the bottom of our hill......Mark standing on the little foot rests on the back of Scott's wheelchair.....coming down the hill like a streak of lightning and finally resting on the front lawn in front of me. My heart stopped still, I didn't breathe.....then just went in the house and hyperventilated without saying a word. Next day.....I resumed my after school hike up the hill to get them home safely. Kids are resilient....not as fragile as we think.....sometimes much stronger than we are when we can just watch. They come with their own journey...they are just on loan to us for a little guidance along the way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA. I LOVE the part about the wheelchair flying down the hill :)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! As the mother of three boys I can't tell you how encouraged (and amused I am by this post. May the Lord teach me how to hyperventilate without saying a word. I'm certain that I will need to grow in that discipline before they are all up and out!

Stacy said...

Great story!! Love it!