Thursday, August 28, 2008

Things that Matter

I have mentioned before how things that I used to think were not very productive actually do matter a great deal - things such as bringing a meal to a friend and prayer quilts from the church.

Another thing I have discovered is what a help it is to have friends with you at the hospital.

During our 11 days at the NICU, the wife and I were almost constantly in the company of friends and family who came to bring meals, to visit Annabelle or just to sit with us in the waiting room. I cannot tell you what a comfort it was.

Hospitals are mysterious places. They are full of people who know things about you that you don't know about yourself and every nook and cranny seems to be stuffed with instruments and machines that do stuff to you never knew you needed done.

Sitting there in the waiting room, surrounded that which you do not understand and looking ahead to that which you cannot fully predict, it is nice to be sitting next to a friend. Someone who doesn't have to be there - but someone who wants to be there.

And, speaking for myself, the last thing I wanted was a cheerleader telling me to "look on the bright side" - instead, our friends quietly and consistently gathered around us, celebrating the victories, acknowledging the challenges and praying us through to each and every tomorrow.

So chalk that up as another lesson learned.

Meals really do matter.

Prayer quilts really do matter.

Choosing to be with those in the hospital who have no choice but to be there - really does matter.

No comments: