Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday Update


I know - weird, isn't it?
Little Annabelle is now resting in a crib at the NICU instead of the super-duper-baby-saver-2000 bed. They moved her to the crib in preparation for our little family sleepover tonight.
So Annie continues to get stronger and eat and eat and EAT! One thing that was a little difficult yesterday was that the Urologist ordered Annabelle to be catheterized once every 4 hours. It's a real drag.
The idea behind it is that most children with Spina Bifida do not have good bladder control and end up with some sort of catheter regimen sooner or later (usually after a painful bout with a kidney infection). Now a-days the Docs start the catheter regimen right away in an effort to avoid what they feel is the inevitable kidney infection.
Its not fun. But I am sure that with some practice, it will become a routine part of the diaper change process for us. We continue to pray for her development and are hoping that, once again, Annie Lu proves the docs wrong and develops bladder and bowel control.
We had some family fly into town yesterday and more family is coming to town today. I am stuck at the office trying to make up for lost time this past week before heading back to the hospital.
Please keep us in your prayers this weekend - we are so close to taking her home that it feels like I don't want to DO ANYTHING that might "jinx" us. I am sporting my GO ANNABELLE t-shirt and just might wear it from now until the moment the little peanut is home on Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been super excited about little Annabelle's progress and now will concentrate our prayers for her bladder/bowel control and her precious beautiful feet! May you all have a restful night in your "glamorous suite" tonight! :)
Nancy Kessler

Michelle said...

We've been cathing Emily for a number of years. I understand being anxious. There is a way to do it though, I'm sure they have shown you the tricks, down hill up hill and then there you are! We chose to have a Mitrofanoff procedure for Emily. This is a cathing site on her tummy. It is SO easy! If the urologist thinks you need to cath all the time he/she may ask if you would like to consider that option. I can't say enough about it. It is the best thing we ever did for Emily, and for ourselves. We can cath her anywhere, and it is discreet.

Please email if you have questions.

Michelle & Emily in Buckley

Anonymous said...

Matt and Holly, Have a wonderful family time tonight, try to relax and enjoy your alone time. I will pray for you. I know it will be scary but you will do great. Annabelle is in great hands!!!
Keeping you in my prayers always.