I heard a story once about a minister who asked for a volunteer.
A teenage boy was chosen who came up onto the stage, was handed a glass of water and instructed to face the congregation holding the glass with both hands in front of him.
The minister then walked behind the youth, grabbed both his shoulders a shook him violently - sending water in all directions and soaking the volunteer.
The teen was handed a towel, thanked and sent back to his chair.
"Why was (John)" covered in water?" the minister asked the congregation?
"Because you shook him", offered one of the congregation.
"No", replied the minister. "He was covered in water because water is what was in the glass when I shook him. When life shakes you, whatever it is that you have on the inside is going to come out on the outside - and most likely effect yourself and those near you."
I suppose the analogy shouldn't be pushed too far but perhaps there is a kernel of truth there.
The other thing I have noticed is that when life cocks it's arm and delivers a jaw-shattering blow, it is almost easier to do the right thing in some respects.
On 911 we witnessed many many acts of heroism and selflessness. People helping people - putting their own lives in danger to save another. These are some of the same people who were probably cursing each other on the way to work because this one drives too slow and that one drives too fast and the other cut me off etc.
I guess my point is that when life really delivers a blow its almost easier to let the good that is in you come out as opposed to the countless of small and seemingly insignificant opportunities we have to be gracious and kind on a day-by-day, hour-by-hour basis.
While is it good to be firm and strong and defiantly hopeful in the big crises of life, perhaps we should try to make that our default personality on a daily basis. In a way, that might require even more courage.
I hope that life never shakes you so hard that you have the opportunity to really put your faith to the test - but more importantly, if it does, I hope you do not miss the opportunity it presents.
No comments:
Post a Comment