Thursday, May 8, 2008

"We will let you know . . ." - Part 2

I mentioned the other day that I just can't get used to our situation - similar to how I am told marathons never really get easy.

Another thing my friends have taught me about marathons is that the moment of truth comes around mile 20 or so. Having never run a marathon, I can only guess what it is like.

Around mile 20, a voice sounds in your head - it's your voice but it's not at the same time . . .

"You don't have to do this man . . ."

"Everyone knows you can run a marathon - you have nothing to prove . . ."

"You can stop right here and join the aid-station volunteers handing out water - if you take your number off, no one will notice . . ."

"The world will go on just fine if you quit now . . . "

"It doesn't make a difference . . ."

"Go ahead and stop right here . . ."

Of course, you don't stop. By sheer force of will and determination you press on.

Or maybe you just follow the advice of the runner's quote I saw the other day - "Act like a horse. Be dumb. Just run."

Some days the wife and I feel like we are at mile 20 and the voice in your head starts . . .

"You can't do this . . . ."

"It's too hard . . . ."

"Just quit your job - lay in bed all day - you have earned it . . . "

"Don't bother with chores around the house . . .

"It doesn't matter anyway . . ."

"Again with the prayer? Don't waste your time . . ."

And then we get phone calls from friends and emails like this and this and this . . .

The last marathon the wife and I attended, we made a point of finding the mile 20 marker and as we were waiting for our friends to pass by, we cheered on strangers. Many of them had their names printed on their T-shirts so it was easy to call out "Good job Karen! Keep it up Mike! You can do it Suzie!"

The effect was remarkable. Almost without exception, when the runners heard their name, their head would lift, their shoulders would square and their feet would pick up the pace. Usually they would give a nod in our direction with a word of thanks.

When I shared this with a runner friend of mine he confirmed it. "It's amazing" he said, "You get lost in your own thoughts and then someone calls out your name and it is like hearing the voice of God himself cheering you on".

Well. I now have an idea of what that feels like.

Thank you for all your encouragement - it means the world to us.

Mile 20. "How much farther?"

"We will let you know . . . ."

I know I have posted this video before but it brings a smile to my face . . .

2 comments:

Holly said...

HOLD ON DADDY!! YOU KEEP IT UP MAN!!! THAT'S RIGHT!! IT'S ALL YOURS!! YOU GET IT!! GO GO GOOOOO! I LOVE YOU!!! THANKS FOR BEING THE BEST AND THE STRONGEST!!! SHE WILL BE TOO!! SHE LOVES YOU SO MUCH ALREADY!!! YOU KEEP IT UP!!! COME ON!!

Randee said...

I am a friend of Amy Farris (Kessler). Just want you to know I am praying for your precious Annabelle--what a beautiful name. Hang on to God He will carry you through if you let Him!! Blessings to you and Annabelle!!!