Wednesday, May 21, 2008

End of an Era

TMST posted about the closing of the Crown City Brewery in Pasadena.

I too, lived a short way from the pub for a brief time. I remember sitting at the bar at 11:59pm, May 3rd, 1991 - waiting for the clock to strike midnight so I could order my first official beer as a 21-year-old.

I ordered an enormous Becks and when the bartender checked my ID, he rang the bell and announced the occasion to the whole bar. I don't think a Becks has ever tasted as good since . . .

Almost a decade later - March, 2000 - a hoard of us crammed in to CCB to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday (who by the way had run the LA marathon earlier in the day).

When my wife and I were living in Seattle, I had occasion to make a solo drive to Pasadena. I sent out a mass e-mail to all our Seattle friends to see if anyone wanted to drive down with me and one of the gals said "yes". We had hardly ever had a one-on-one conversation together but we spent 18 hours "bombing it" from Seattle to - you guessed it - the Crown City Brewery in Pasadena.

When we staggered out of the car and into the bar around 11pm, a dozen or so friends were waiting for us. She is now one of my wife and I's dearest friends.

I probably have 1/2 a dozen more stories like that associated with CCB. I don't have anyplace in my life like it right now and I doubt I ever will. I think there is a certain magic about your favorite bar when you are in your early 20's.

The Crown City Brewery will always have a fond place in my memory.

UPDATE:

I just thought of one - The Keg in Bellevue Washington. I am pretty sure the whole "old crowd" has moved on so it would have to be some kind of reunion of sorts.

2 comments:

SeanH said...

Hey, that was MY thirtieth birthday! And ME you were meeting after that long drive! (Man, I used to spend too much time in the bar.)

Jenn said...

OH MY GOSH!! Such a great memory!! Would do it again in a heart beat! Chanting LA! LA! LA! at the top of our lungs. Combining food, gas and potty breaks into 5 minute Chevron stops. My driving far faster than my concience should ever have allowed me to and Matt all set up with his laptop in his lap and a printer in the back seat preparing for an upcoming speech. Extra bonus was one of my best friends was still in the LA area and was meeting us at Crown City too. GOOD TIMES!!