A friend of mine sent me this article from CNN.com a lifetime ago and I have been meaning to post it. Good stuff.
Teaser Graphs:
At 5 a.m. on any given day, Anne Mahlum could be found running the dark streets of Philadelphia -- with homeless men cheering her on as she passed their shelter. But one morning last spring, she stopped in her tracks.
"Why am I running past these guys?" recalls Mahlum, 27. "I'm moving my life forward every day -- and these guys are standing in the same spot."
Instead of continuing to pass them by, the veteran marathoner sprang into action so they could join her.
She contacted the shelter, got donations of running gear, and in July 2007 the "Back On My Feet" running club hit the streets. . . .
For Mahlum and others, Back On My Feet is more than a running club.
"Anne is helping people see the hero in themselves," says Solomon. . . .
"Do we need homes? Yes. We need jobs? Yes," she says. "But imagine if you didn't have anybody in your life who said, 'I'm really proud of you.' Back On My Feet does just that."
No comments:
Post a Comment