Thursday, May 22, 2008

I just have a little more packing to do . . .

They say the true test of a friendship is helping someone move. I say the true test of a friendship is when you show up to help someone move and they have not begun packing yet . . .

You walk into the home, look around, and realize that this is going to be one king-hell-effinmier of a day . . .

The wife and I are still stunned by the generosity of so many who have pledged their time, talents and treasure to helping prepare our home for little Annabelle.

This past week I have also become stunned by something else - the enormous amount of work that the wife and I need to do before everyone gets here.

At the very least, the wife and I need to get the basic pieces of the puzzle in the approximate places . . .

For starters, the wife's studio / work room has to be emptied out. Then the guest room needs to be moved into the studio room and all the studio stuff put back. So now our guest room is a guest room / studio.

The old guest room is going to be Annie's nursery.

Then the shed needs to be emptied of all the tools and supplies that might be useful. All the items we have been storing in the family room need to be moved out to the shed and all the useful stuff in the shed needs to go into the family room . . .

The construction tools need to be separated from the supplies which need to be separated from the yard tools which need to be separated from the paint which all needs to be labeled . . .

We need to figure out how to get the other half of the electrical box to work . . .

A huge limb off the old elm tree out front came down which needs to be dealt with - followed by the huge limb off the old cactus out front which did the same . . .

Then there is the packing of pets and belongings for a week at Motel 6 so that the wife and I (and the pets) are out of everyone's way . . .

To say nothing of just cleaning up the place in general / mowing the grass and whatnot . . .

This past week I have been reminded of one of the reasons we have been unable to make all the improvements we intended over the past year - it is an ENORMOUS amount of work.

But everyday the house begins to look more and more like we have always dreamt it might . . .

Thank you again for all your help and generosity - we could not do it without you!

2 comments:

Sean said...

What you don't have time for will get taken care of. Lots of hands are on their way.

Anonymous said...

ya dont be crazy. I thought the whole point of everyone coming over was to do that kind of stuff for you. Im sure the jobs that would take you 3 hours will only take a whole team of people a few minutes. :)