Thursday, May 22, 2008

On The Run - 5/22/08

3.65 mi / 1hr 3min / 17.27 mpm

I think we have the route at the new running spot wired. And we have managed to break that all-elusive 18 minutes per mile mark. I was smokin!

As I mentioned before, I try and let the dawg off-leash whenever I can. Usually when people are approaching, I just snap my fingers by my left leg and he does a sort of half-heel / half-sort-of-just-by-you and doesn't pester the passers-by.

If there is another dawg approaching all bets are off and it is PLAY TIME!

In my view, whenever you see a owner walking a dawg without a leash, it is a pretty safe bet that the dawg is well mannered. Dawg on leash? You never know - it could be a law-abiding citizen walking their perfectly mannered pooch or it could be someone trying to restrain their unsocialized beast.

One thing is for sure, almost no dawg owners appreciate your "well mannered" pooch charging their leashed dawg in a frenzy of excitment.

So whenever I release the hound I am always keeping a wary eye out. Does that person up ahead have a dawg? No? Then we are good.

Yes? Then is the dawg leashed? If not, we are still all good and probably in for a brief friendly dawg-romp as we pass by.

If the other dawg is leashed - then we go into lock down mode until we safely pass.

This morning I saw three people with three dawgs up ahead. One was definitely leashed but I couldn't really tell about the other two.

As we got close I still couldn't tell and when I bent down to leash the hound, the other owner started calling their free-range dawgs in concern. That's when I realized all was well.

I let Buckley charge the other unleashed dawgs unrestrained and a good romp was had by all.

Everyone introduced their dawgs, "Molly, this is Buckley, Buckley, this is Goldie" and so on. Treats were shared to the canines' delight - then it was time to move on.

Great morning . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are such a tricky trickster! I was just waiting for you to tell me that Buckley got beat up by some horrible dog. Whew, thank goodness there was a happy ending. I love Buckley, I want to see him. He is so cute. Can you bring him to work tomorrow?? Please!

Camille Panzarello said...

We sure miss you guys!! And I'm sure that Buckley would be a total BFF with our hound, Scout Jones, or just Scout for short. Check her out at Jim's brand new blog--mesalane.blogspot.com--as well as the other baby in our life, Jordan Jane, born on May 4th. You guys are going to love being parents and especially being the proud papa of a beautiful little girl. Can't wait to check back on progress of your crib--wish we didn't live so far away so we could be there slinging a pick ax with the rest of y'all. The Lindens are in our prayers...