Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"We will let you know . . ." - Part 1

I have never run a marathon (although it has become one of my goals). I am, however, surrounded by friends who are marathon runners (one of whom completed the Eugene Marathon last weekend).

One of things I have learned about marathons from my friends is that marathons never really get easy. You never get used to them. Some are easier than others but they are all pretty much hard.

As friends a co-workers continue to find out about our situation with Annabelle, there is usually that initial shock and "drawback". Your friend is unsure of how to proceed in the conversation because they don't know how comfortable you are talking about it etc.

Obviously, we are very comfortable discussing it but, like a marathon, I just can't get used to the whole thing.

All sorts of unexpected things come our way in this life of ours and some of them we just have to accept, get used to and move on.

This I cannot accept.

This I will not allow myself to get used to.

Not yet.

I think it stems from a belief in the power of prayer. A belief that God can heal.

For a non-believer who receives such news, I imagine there is nothing left to do but to accept the situation as is and begin to prepare. In a way, that would be easier.

But for someone who believes that this fight is not yet over - it is only just begun - that prayer is powerful and effective, I think the road might be longer and harder.

It doesn't mean we, as believers, divorce ourselves from reality - it just means that we don't have to accept that the future is a fore-gone conclusion. We believe we have a part to play in the struggle.

I imagine that I will only get "used" to the situation to the degree that I "accept" the situation.

A certain amount of acceptance will have to come in August when little Annabelle is born but I don't think I will ever really accept anything less than full healing.

And I certainly will not accept anything less between now and August.

So I am not used to it. I may never be fully used to it.

It's like being at mile 15 in a marathon and shouting out, "How much further?"

And the only answer you receive is, "We will let you know . . . . ."

Your prayers mean more than you know . . . .

No comments: