My friend Sean has a post about (among others things) flying the flag on the front of his house. I often wonder about people's reasons for flying the stars and stripes on their houses.
I think it is significant that my first thought is usually that the family is somehow connected to the military. How is it that the US flag has somehow come to be an indicator of military service?
I do my best to put out the flag on every holiday. My thought is, "That's right, I'm flying the flag today - I know it's Easter - but its Easter in America!"
The last time I put out the flag was the 4th of July - I never took it down.
So now I wonder what other people think when they see my flag up 24/7. They are probably wondering if I am in the military when the truth is, I think the house looks better with it up (goodness knows the ol' homestead needs all the help it can get).
So there it is - I fly the flag for both patriotic and aesthetic reasons. I hope the one doesn't diminish the other.
One day, I hope to put in a bonified flag-pole.
No comments:
Post a Comment