Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Running Joke, Part 1

I am not a runner. In fact, comparing what I do in my sneakers to actual runners is like comparing my fourth grade cello recital to yo-yo ma. We both had the same equipment, we both went through the same motions - only the music of yo yo ma takes you to a transcendant place - my screeching would have made you want to chop the instrument up for firewood and then hand me a football - "Here kid, go OUTSIDE AND PLAY" (incidentally, I sold the cello for a motorcycle my senior year of high school - but that is another story)

I would classify myself more as a "running joke" than runner.

So why do it?

As a child, I used to love to run. As early as elementary school, I would get up while it was still dark and go for a run around my neighborhood. This continued right up until High School when I discovered water-polo.

From then on, land-sports were out and water-sports were in. Why on earth would anyone want to spend an afternoon getting sweaty, dirty and smelly running, playing basketball, baseball etc. when you could go for a swim, and come out clean, tan and in the best shape of your young life? Swimming is virtually free and you need next to zero gear. No expensive shoes, no shoulder pads, bats, cleats etc.

I swam all through High School. Running, clearly, was not for me anymore.

I did not have many opportunities to swim during college so I did what many college guys do - spend a ridiculous amount of time at the Gym. But even the weight training had to take a back seat once marriage and the demands of finding and holding a j.o.b. entered the picture.

I have managed to pack on one pound a year, every year, since High School (I graduated in the late 80's so you do the math)

Obviously, something needed to be done.

(to be continued)

No comments: