A few weeks ago, I did an 8 mile run. I was nervous about it because I have never run that far without injuring myself. I was very pleased to feel great at the end of it.
I did not feel so great on my mid-week run two days later. About 40 min into the run, I had a sharp pain on the outside of my right knee that prevented me from finishing. Two days later, I had the same pain at the 40 min mark. This did not seem like a pain that you should run through.
I checked it out on Runner's World and found this article that pointed to IT band syndrome. The only cure is to rest.
So I dialed my runs back to 30 minutes and did my best to ice both knees twice a day for a week. The second week, I increased my runs to 35 min. Today was my first 40 min run and it felt great - no pain.

This was part of my run today at Balboa Park. There are these long corridors along the buildings with beautiful arches and views of the grounds. It is like running through a church without getting in trouble.
No comments:
Post a Comment