Having long given up on land sports (especially running) - I just could not understand why my friends run, let alone run marathons. And yet, they seemed to really enjoy it. These are people who I love spending time with - we love many of the same activities - how could they enjoy running so much while I disliked it so much?
The first turning point occured at my office in the summer of 2005. A co-worker was explaining how much she loves to run and I was explaining how much I love NOT running even though most of my friends are marathon runners.
She agreed with me that marathons are for crazy people but then she said something that made a lot of sense. As we get older, regular exercise gets more and more important. Since she and her husband travel so much, it is difficult for them to maintain an exercise routine. But if you are a runner, it doesn't matter where you are in the world - if you have a pair of shoes, you can run. According to her, there is no better way to see a new city than to get up in the morning, strap on some "kicks" and run it.
Finally, I began to understand why some people run.
Still not for me though - oh no no no.
The second turning point occurred at a birthday / baby-shower weekend a few months later. The wife and I met up with our friends in LA to celebrate a birthday, spend the night and then throw a coed baby shower the following day.
The birthday bash was a huge success judging by the hangovers some of us had the following morning. As our group was slowly easing into the morning, I caught a couple of the guys strapping on their running shoes.
"Are you guys insane? How can you run with a hangover?"
To which one replied "Nothing cures a hangover like a good run."
Hmmmm . . . . most of my closest friends love to run . . . . you can run anywhere in the world - all you need is a pair of shoes. . . . The best way to see a new city is to run it. . . . . . AND running cures hangovers . . . .
Later that morning, while preparations were being made for the baby shower, I caught a glimpse of the Washington Monument on the television.
"The DC Marathon is on today" explained a friend.
"There is a Marathon in DC?"
"Sure is. Its the "Marine Corps Marathon" and it runs past every major monument in the city"
DC had long been at the top of my list of places I wanted to see and before I could stop myself, I found myself saying, "I'd run the DC Marathon"
Stunned silence from my buddies.
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah, I'm serious."
"Then shake on it"
Handshakes all around.
Pssshhhh . . . . how hard can it be? All you do is run for a couple hours - no big deal. If these guys can do it, surely, I can too . . .
(to be continued . . . .)
No comments:
Post a Comment