Friday, August 31, 2007

Dawg Run Tip #5: Plan Your Route

Some of this may seem obvious but when you are taking your dawg into consideration, it adds a whole new dynamic to planning your route.

Do you want to run on asphalt, concrete or dirt? Do you mind traffic? Do you want to run with or without a leash? What are the temperatures like where you live?

Personally, I don't want to be near traffic with my dawg. I prefer dirt to asphalt or concrete. I like to have the dawg off-leash and, in San Diego, we tend to be a little warmer than some other places.

All that means that:
A) I have to run in the mornings when it is cool (mostly for the dawg's sake)
2) I have to drive to the park, the bay or the waterfront to do my runs (they are the closest traffic-free places where I feel comfortable letting the dawg off-leash)

It is something of a drag to have to drive to the run and it adds an extra 30-40 minutes to my 57-step morning routine but it is worth it. Running in the park, at the waterfront, or around the bay is just so beautiful and wonderful compared to running the hills of my neighborhood - dodging traffic and setting off canine alarms every other house that we run by.

Decide what is best for you and the pooch (even if it means a drive) - then get out and do it.

No comments: