This was not one of those mornings.
Grrrrrrrr
I just didn't feel like it today. Reminding myself that I have almost never regretted a run afterwards, I got dressed, loaded up the dog and off we went.
The freeway was packed. It's not normally that busy so early in the morning. Traffic? At 5:30am?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
When we arrived at Balboa Park, we started out with our usual 5 minute warm-up walk. A lady walking the opposite direction bellowed, "GOOD MORNING!" To be fair, I had my headphones in and she probably thought she had to yell above the music. Or maybe she was making some sort of sociological point about how people shouldn't have to be "plugged in" all the time. Whatever. Fact is, I hadn't fired up the ipod yet and she came through LOUD AND CLEAR. And it was 5:45 in the morning. "good morning" I mumbled.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
The Dawg began his usual pre-run shenanigans. Most of the time, he is very good on the leash but when he knows we are about to run, he is like a fish on the end of a line - jumping, leaping, biting the leash and tugging.
"Come on! Come on! Let's Go! Let's ruuuuuunnnnnn!"
At least one of us was happy to be there.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The park was packed with runners. A couple in much better shape than I breezed by. It always makes me feel good to see a runner in really good shape - it makes me think that if I just keep on keepin' on, one day I will be in that kind of shape as well.
Grrrrrrrr
A group of Navy cadets were out running through the park in formation. I see these guys and gals every so often and it makes me proud to see our military folks "up-and-at-em, gittin 'er done" early in the morning.
Grrrr
About half-way through our run, the Dawg skidded to a stop to "set a few things down". I pulled out one of the blue plastic bags that I keep in my left-hand pocket for just such occasions and just then the Nano kicked up "Pick Up The Pieces" by Average White Band. Now that's funny. And just like that, a corner had been turned, a straw was lifted off the camel's back, standing there with a steaming bag of "pieces" I was happy to be there.
Both of us finished out the run with smiles on our faces.

This is the entrance to one of the dirt paths at Balboa. It leads into Marston Canyon which was named after George Marston, a turn-of-the-century San Diego business man. He was instrumental in founding Balboa Park and his house, now known as "The Marston House" sits on the North-west corner of the park.
It is considered by many to be an excellent example of craftsman architechure and it is open for tours.
Hey! Smile! It's not Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment