Saturday, August 25, 2007

On The Run 08/25/07 - Facing The Demons

4.48 miles / 45:09 min / 10:03 mpm




I wanted to run someplace other than Balboa Park this morning so the dawg and I headed to Mission Bay. The Bay has a boardwalk that runs around it and you can run the whole bay or 1/2 if you take the bridge that cuts across the water.

I used to run here when I first started running in '05. I stopped because a job change meant that it was no longer on my way to and from work. It is also an extra ten min drive to the bay vs to Balboa Park and that 10 min each way makes a big difference in the mornings before work.

As we started out this morning, it occurred to me that there might be another reason why I haven't run here in over a year - it was here that I ended up with stress fractures in both knees. Half-way over the Ingraham street bridge, to be exact - 4 miles from my car.

I am not one to avoid a place because of an experience like that but I was surprised this morning to realize that I had an "unsettling" feeling about running the bay again.

I was on schedule to bump up my distance just a bit this morning and I then realized that the same Ingraham Street bridge that "beat" me over a year ago was going to be at the very tail end of my run this morning. Well bring it on.

As I neared the bridge, the Nano informed me that I only had 5 minutes left in my run. If I was going to beat the bridge, I had to put some pep in my step. The Dawg and I kicked it up a notch and trudged up and over the bridge - closing out this morning's run on the far side.

Take that you imaginary obstacles that have been holding me back only because I let you.

I am the boss of me.

No comments: