Sunday, December 2, 2007

Weekend Adventures - 12/02/07 - Part 1?

I say "Part 1?" Because I intend to do a "Part 2" but my track record of posting has been *ahem* somewhat spotty lately.

Work is beginning to settle down. Our numbers are up, which is good. Our workload is levelling off, which is good. They cut my assistant to 30 hours a week, which is bad.

If she were full time, I would be back to a regular 8-5 routine. As it is now, I am still going in at 5am to make up for the three hours a day I lose when she leaves at 2pm. I do have a meeting scheduled with he boss on Monday to rectify the situation, which is good.

I began planning my weekend Friday morning and I resolved that I was absolutely going surfing Saturday morning. My inner-child needed it. Then it started raining. You would think that water falling from the sky would not interfere with surfing. Well it doesn't. Unless it falls on the highways and by-ways and washes 10 months of oil grit and grime into the ocean where it can burn your eyes and even make you sick.

As I sat in my office Friday afternoon and watched the rain pouring down I resolved that I was going surfing anyway. I was willing to trade a little physical sickness for some mental health.

I got up in the dark Saturday morning - loaded up the gear and the dawg and headed to the beach. When we got there a bitter wind was howling off the Pacific whipping the waves into an un-surfable cauldron of brine. Not a single other soul was there. Oh well.

We headed for home where I spent the day reading and watching movies with the wife before going to dinner at a friends.

As nice as it is to sit at home and read - my dawg is starting to eat the hose. I need to GET OUT and get some fresh air into me.

The swelling in my ankle has finally gone down from my last mishap but there remains a hard lump on the top-outside of my foot where there was not a hard lump before. And it still hurts. I fear that the lump and hurt are not the "take-a-few-more-days-off-and-it-will-go-away" sort of lump and hurt but instead a "you-snapped-a-bone-in-your-foot-five-weeks-ago-and-now-it-has-fused-improperly-so-we-are-going-to-have-to-rebreak-it-reset-it-and-cast-it-and-no-you-can't-have-any-pain-killer-here-bite-down-on-this-wallet-and-turn-your-head" sort of lump and hurt.

I am going to make an appointment to see the Dr. tomorrow.

So between the weather and the foot - it's time for another helping of garden hose today.

You may be asking, "Why didn't you go to the Dr. five weeks ago?" And to that I can only say, "Because I'm Evel Kinevel!"

No comments: