Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Dawg Ate The Hose

Really. Or, at least he tore it to pieces and left it lying around the yard. The pooch was born October 7th, 2006. We picked him up at a friends on December 10th.

A week or so later I took the dawg to his first-ever visit to the vet. And on our way in, they were carrying a fully-grown Golden Retriever out on his side. He had just had surgery and was not allowed to walk. One person carried him under the front shoulders and another had his hind-quarters. They gently laid him in the back of a waiting SUV.

What happened there? I asked the owner. He looked at me, held up a plastic baggie with the remains of a bathtub stopper that had been removed from the dawg's innards and simply said, "$6,000.00".

Oh dear. It was the same exact type bathtub stopper I have in my tub. I looked down at the dawg and resolved. "No surgeries in the first year - I will not allow myself to become attached to the tune of $6,000. I suggest you don't eat the bathtub stopper, dawg."

Well, its hard to say if the dawg has actually swallowed any hose. I doubt it. And if he has, hopefully the pieces are small enough to pass through. I'm not really concerned.

It's my fault anyway - because of the work drama and our goofy weekend schedule, our last run was last Wednesday. The dawg must be going a little stir crazy.

The dawg ate the hose. Sounds sort of like a euphemism for cabin fever. "How was your weekend?"

"Man, my dawg really ate the hose this weekend!"

"I know what you mean, I stayed inside all weekend too."

I guess it's not that catchy.

No comments: