Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas 2007

After the wife turned in on Christmas Eve, I stayed up to read and watch the fire in the fireplace burn itself out when "out in the yard there arose such a clatter". Around 11:30pm I heard the unmistakable "Screech! Boom! Rattle Rattle Rattle" of a car accident.

I grabbed my car keys, wallet and cel phone and headed towards what sounded like a car crash a few blocks away. Unfortunately, I was right. Luckily, no one was seriously injured and everything turned out about as well as a major accident on Christmas Eve can turn out.

By the time I got home again, I was too wired to sleep so I stayed up a little while more before turning in.

The wife and I got up Christmas morning, poured each other a cuppa joe, lit a fire in the fireplace and commenced the gift opening.

The Dawg actually opened his own gift this year. I shot some video of the affair but I shot it sideways and can't figure out how to turn it right-side-up. It is also apparently to large a file to upload anywhere and after futzing with it for about an hour yesterday, I decided to move on.

It is always a challenge to buy gifts for the Dawg because he is just so big. Any toy that is not made of tempered steel seems to get destroyed. This time I drove to a shwanky pet boutique and picked out a large dawg-friendly soccer ball with a nylon strap attached. The sales sign proudly exclaimed that it was "Perfect for Large Dogs".

It was fun watching him roll the gift around the living room floor tearing at the gift wrapping. Once he got the paper off, he immediately dragged the ball to his bed by the fire.

Here is what the scene looked like about two minutes later (sorry about the sideways video):



This is where the soccer ball ended up:


Total time searching for Dawg gift: About 1 hour

Total cost: About $15

Total time Dawg took to destroy said gift: About 180 seconds

Total time from Christmas tree to garbage can: About 5 minutes

Oh well, such is life with a big Dawg. He didn't even notice when I took it away from him - he just turned his attention to a big bone he had been working on.

The wife and I made breakfast, spent some time watching a video she received for Christmas:
Then we spent a couple hours reading - her, a book she has been working on:


And me, a book I received for Christmas which I hope to be sharing portions of with you folks over the coming months:
We watched another video that the wife received for Christmas:



Then made the usual round of phone calls to the family.

We broke in the new board game the wife got from Santa:
While listening to some new music we received from some of the family:

And then prepared our portion of Christmas dinner which we shared with the neighbors over at their place.

All in all, a nice, relaxing Christmas.

No comments: