Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Not Doing Well

My wife has been out of town for five days (she returns today).

Things are not going well.

Having my wife and daughter near helps me. Not just for the love and companionship but because it is easier for me to pray. Every time one of us shifts or moves in bed - the dozen or so times that I wake up in the night - I throw an arm around them and pray.

Having the wife around also gives me someone to be strong for. Without her around . . . well . . . I am not doing so well.

Yesterday a dear friend called and we were talking about other problems and I made a ham-handed remark.

I was trying to explain how I felt about a situation and I was trying to accurately sum up life from my perspective at that moment.

I said something to the effect, "You want to know how I feel? Imagine if I came over to your house and took your daughters legs away . . ."

Oh God what a terrible thing to say.

I am so so sorry my dear friend. I should have never said that and I am so so sorry.

Life is good - life is sweet - but there are times when it feels like we are all walking barefoot down a broken glass highway and in an effort to steady ourselves, we hurt those nearest to us.

I am so grateful for my friends and family.

I am not doing well - but my girls are coming home today . . .

No comments: