Saturday, April 12, 2008

Making Yourself Available

My job requires my to be on the phone most of the day. When I am not on the phone, I am returning the approximately 100 work e-mails I get each day. When I am not doing either of those things, I am conferring with my assistant who I share an office with. I am SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE.

My commute is only 10 minutes and the evenings are spent with the wife. I am rarely ever alone.

As hard as it is, getting up at 4am everyday seems to help. I sit in the quiet and read or write, pay bills etc.

The wife is currently in Manhattan for five days at a work convention and I have the weekend to myself.

Although the house is a filthy wreck, I decided to give myself a mini vacation. Thursday night I ordered a pizza and watched back episodes of Lost.

Friday morning I got up and did nothing but drink coffee and watch the news before work.

Last night I came home and cooked one the frozen meals that a friend had delivered and watched movies.

Today is road trip day. The dawg and I are going to take a two-hour drive to Idyllwild - a little mountain town Northeast of San Diego.

The wife wants to go on a "babymoon" before Bella arrives and I thought this might be a good (read: inexpensive) option - but I need to check it out first. And I need to get out of town and clear my head.

My plan was to spend the weekend in quiet and easy isolation. All social invitations were to summarily rejected.

And then a friend called.

We are blessed with so many caring friends and Annie's situation is breaking more hearts than just the wife's and mine. It occurred to me as I was on the phone that as much as I want some alone time this weekend, I might actually need some social time as well.

Not only that, but some of our friends need to talk about this for their own healing. They need us to be available to them as much as we need them to be available to us.

So a buddy of mine is going to join the dawg and I on the road trip today.

Tomorrow, I am meeting up with friends at a dawg beach to cook weeners and watch the Sea World Fireworks.

I feel like these trying times in life cause us to build walls around ourselves for protection the question is, are you going to be the only person inside your protective ramparts?

If ramparts need to be built, so be it - but I want my friends on the inside (plus they can pull their weight and help with the building).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck finding a good place for the babymoon. Beth and I took a weekend trip about six weeks before Noah was born. It's not really the place that matter, though. It's just the time, together and away from the distractions of home.

I wrote an entry about Annabelle on my blog. It's at www.allfortheloveofyou.com.

Steph