The wife and I pow-wowed this morning on how we were going to spend the three remaining days of my paternity leave.
We settled on a family day downtown to unwind and then caring for paperwork stuff Saturday and Sunday.
There is a museum downtown called the William Heath Davis House which claims to be the oldest wooden structure in San Diego. I have passed it dozens of times and always said that I would go in one day . . .
The back-yard portion of the house has been turned into a miniature city park and as we were walking by today, I noticed a dawg statue that looked familiar.
In fact, it was a replica of Greyfriars Bobby from Edinburgh Scotland. It turns out that Edinburgh is a sister city of San Diego and they gave the statue as a gift to us. San Diego smartly placed it in the oldest backyard in town.
But even more interesting was the massive sculpture of what looked to be a three-legged mutt named "Bum" next to it - complete with a plaque detailing the story.
I found the story on the web when I went home.
Here is another version complete with a photo of Bum the dawg.
It turns out, Edinburgh has a statue of Bum as well . . .
It's amazing what you see when you slow down a little and keep your eyes open . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment