Thursday, January 29, 2009

Quote of the Day

From an e-mail I received entitled "Lean Hard"

I read this in a prayer chain email today that I have been privileged to be a part of for a couple of years. I am one of many, many people who are praying earnestly for a mom in Escondido who has been battling terminal breast cancer (and subsequently the loss of many of her physical abilities) since the birth of her third child who is now 2. It blessed me this morning and I thought it might encourage you too. “Lean Hard” is a battle cry I will plant in my heart and hopefully remember when life is difficult…

The following is a quote a friend sent recently about Psalm 55:22 "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain you." It is written by Octavius Winslow, a Baptist preacher in the early 1800's.. I have found it quite comforting. Maybe sometime you will too.

". . .I (Jesus) bore the load of your sin and condemnation up the steep of Calvary, and the same power of omnipotence and the same strength of love that bore it all for you then, is prepared to bear your need and sorrow now. Roll it all upon Me!! Child of My love! Lean hard! Let Me feel the pressure of your care. I know your burden, child! I shaped it--I poised it in My own hand and made no proportion of its weight to your unaided strength. For even as I laid it on, I said I shall be near, and while she leans on Me, this burden shall be Mine, not hers. So shall I keep My child within the encircling arms of My own love. Here lay it down! Do not fear to impose it on a shoulder which upholds the government of worlds! Yet closer come! You are not near enough! I would embrace your burden, so I might feel My child reposing on My breast. You love Me! I know it. Doubt not, then. But, loving me, lean hard!"


As a new father myself, I have been surprised at how strong my desire is that my little girl will lean into my chest when I hold her. I want my strength, my smell, my hands to bring comfort to her. I want her to burrow into my chest. I long for her to "lean hard".

I suppose our heavenly father feels the same way . . . .

1 comment:

Holly said...

What a strong and loving Daddy.