Friday, January 9, 2009

On The Run - 1/7/9

? mi / ? min / ? mpm

I know my gizmo saved my running stats but they aren't there anymore. Arrgh . . . that's the thing with some of these high-tech whiz-bangs, they don't work from time to time but you are too busy to stop and figure out why so you just keep on keepin' on and hope they come to their senses . . .

This morning, I sing the praises of the dawg tag . . . the reasons why are the subject of another post . . . .

I will say that the dawg stayed REAL close to papa on this morning's run . . . actually rubbing up against my legs half the time . . . .

I have been running down at Seaport Village lately as my left knee continues to hurt and from what little I know about sports medicine, I need to take it easy and stay away from hills and uneven paths. Being at sea level, the path at Seaport is totally even and flat so I am hoping my left knee "snaps out of it" figuratively speaking . . .

I have actually hit a milestone of sorts - I am now running more than walking.

I started off walking 40 minutes and each day that I run, I add one more minute of running and one less minute of walking . . . so now that I am running more than walking, there is a *little* more credence to the title "On the Run".

I was talking with friends on New Years Day about my running (they, all FAR more accomplished than myself) and I mentioned that I was in training for the Western States 100.

"What about running a marathon?" someone asked.

"Oh, I will . . . as part of my training!" I replied.

I received at least one (possibly drunken) promise from a friend . . .

"If you run the Western States 100, I will run EVERY STEP OF THE WAY with you . . . . I love you man . . . no, really, I love you . . . I WILL RUN EVERY STEP OF THE WAY with you . . ."

Weeeelll, so far I have the first 2 1/2 miles down pat . . .

1 comment:

Sean said...

Western States 100? A marathon as training? What, 26.2 isn't good enough for you? :) Just don't repeat plan A. No more 'Running Joke' please.

That being said, Western States 100 would be pretty incredible. Keep me posted.

If it is your IT band that is causing your knee problems, two words - foam roller. That and stretching.