3.16 mi / 40:15 min / 12:43 mpm (1/16/09)3.25 mi / 40:09 min / 12:21 mpm (1/18/09)
I actually did run on the 18th but never got around to posting about it on account of my "Ob-Stak-Uls" (O Brother Where Art Thou quote).
The photo above is at an intersection near Seaport Village. Just behind me as I take this photo are street lights, crosswalks and the intersection of two 6 lane streets. And here, all but forgotten, is this odd grave-stone-looking thing in the sidewalk.
I had to get down on my hands and knees to read it. The plaque is entitled "Punta de los Muertos" which means "Point of the Dead" or "Dead Man's Point".
I read the plaque and intended on pulling up the actual verbiage on the Internet but have been unable to find it. Alas, the photo isn't good enough to read off of either. What I do remember from the plaque as I knelt on my hands and knees was that in the 1700's, sailors who had contracted scurvy and died were unloaded and buried RIGHT THERE!
"Whoa!" I thought as I jumped off my knees. Geepers.
I did find this website that provides a little more information on it.
Instead of saying "I am going running at Seaport Village" I am now tempted to say "I am going for a run at Dead Man's Point". Of course, no one will know what I am talking about . . . . .
Once again, it's amazing what you discover if you can pry yourself out of your car long enough to take a walk . . .
Oh, and both the runs went well too - nothing currently hurts!
No comments:
Post a Comment