Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On The Run - 1/20/09

3.20 mi / 40:12 min / 12:32 mpm

Up with the college kids again (that is, I got up while they were going to bed).

I read an article in Running Times recently regarding modifying your running form.

When you think of running, most people think of stretching one foot out in front of you, hitting heel first, rolling your foot forward as your body passes over it and then launching off your toes to repeat.

The article claimed that instead of taking long strides, it was better to shorten your strides, pick up the turnover of your feet and plant your feet flat, directly under you instead of heel-first out in front of you. If you want to lengthen your stride, you do so by leaving your foot on the ground longer (after you) instead of stretching it out farther in front of you.

This is supposed to lessen the impact on your body and give you more endurance.

I tried it this morning and it seemed to help.

I haven't missed a scheduled day of running in 7 weeks which might be my longest streak so far . . . of course, if the running doesn't work out I can always just do circuits on the "Vita Course". Seriously, does anyone in their right mind think these courses do anything for the general health of the park-goers?

And what exactly is someone supposed to do at this exercise station (pictured above)? It looks like you are supposed to hang from the rings and do the hula-hoop at the same time.

I have more confidence in Vitameatavegimin than I do in the Vita Course:



UPDATE:

Okay, maybe I need to reconsider the Vita Course . . .

No comments: