Thursday, January 29, 2009

Violence is Not The Answer . . .

I have only been in two fights in my entire life . . . both when I was about 7 years old . . .

Up the street from me lived the Cibulski family. If memory serves, there were 4 boys. Their garage had a shelf lined with their father's boxing trophy's and they had the best climbing tree in the whole neighborhood in their backyard. I saw my first horror movie there . . . the original "Frankenstein" in black and white.

It was in their steeply-sloping driveway that I rode a BMX bike with hand-brakes for the first time and consequently plowed into the side of a passing car.

At one point my mom forbid me to hang out with the Cibulski's as they were "red-necks". A term which made no sense to me as their necks didn't seem any redder than anyone elses . . . .

Every now and again during summer break, the Cibulski's would bust out 4 or 5 sets of boxing gloves. All the neighborhood kids would gather and challenge each other to pre-pubescent bouts of pugilism. We are talking a scene right out of "Stand By Me" or "Sand Lot"- neighborhood boys goofing around like a gang of dopes.

I always attended these "tournaments" but never participated. I had never been in a fight in my life. I didn't understand it. I didn't even enjoy watching it. I just wanted to be with my friends . . .

One day another boy challenged me . . . . I think the other boy was Michael Amadore but I could be wrong. A standing rule was whenever challenged, you had to fight - or forever be known as a wimp and risk utter isolation. I, naturally, declined. That's how terrified I was of boxing (and how certain I was that I would get whupped).

After much argument and protest, the neighborhood boys grabbed me, shoved gloves on my hands and advised me to start swinging, otherwise I would get pulverized . . .

And I did . . . get pulverized . . . that is . . .

It got to the point that I would run around the tree to escape my assailant until the jeers reached a crescendo and then I would stop, take a couple whacks to the kisser (my kisser, that is) and take off running again . . . as the jeers mixed with laughter I started to get humiliated and, as often follows humiliation, I started to get mad . . .

I searched my brain for the one lesson my LAPD dad had taught me . . . was it fake to the face and punch to the gut or was it fake to the gut and punch to the face? . . . *Bang* . . . I couldn't . . *Bam* . . . remember . . . *Kapow* . . .

In desperation, I faked to the other boy's gut - his hands dropped down to block and I aimed for his head with the other glove - throwing my entire 75 lbs-or-so behind the punch to the point that I think my feet were actually off the ground . . .

I knocked him clear into the bushes.

And then I went in after him . . .

The neighborhood boys had to pull me off and by the time they did, I was crying in frustration and rage and the humiliation of it all . . .

I have only really been in one fight since . . . about a month later . . . same guy . . . about the same results . . .

Weekend America had a great story about a "first fight" only this time it was between brothers . . . over an ex-girlfriend . . .

Its worth a listen . . . (language warning - but it is *bleeped* out as they broadcast the article on NPR . . .)

3 comments:

dlm said...

Matty,
Reminds me of the seen in the Christmas Story with Ralphy fighting the bully. I have some gloves in the office if you want to go at it sometime. If a fight broke out in middle school gym class, the teacher would break it up, go to his office and return with gloves and say o.k. go at it.

Oh, & the move is fake to the head and stomp on the instep - where that nasty nerve is.

Deron

Holly said...

I totally thought of Ralphy too!

Team Kess said...

Sounds a lot like Jordan's fist-a-cuffs in Kindergarten. He took some tormenting from a little boy for awhile, tried to be nice and walk away. Alas, the little boy didnt take the hint. Jordan snapped and pulverized him with an onslaught of haymakers. Since the Principal and his teacher backed him up, my only choice was to be proud.