Tuesday, January 27, 2009

On The Run - 1/26/09

3.30 mi / 40:11 min / 12:08 mpm

It's what the kids are wearing these days . . . . (I think)

I had to go to the office supply store the other day and when I saw a display of headphones, I remembered that the ones I was using for running had gone caput. The right earphone just buzzes half the time. I think some sweat got into it a while back.

Since the last time I bought headphones was 2005, I was probably due for an update anyway. I had never seen earphones like this. The tips are silicone widgets that can be traded out for different sized widgets (the package came with three sets). Once you remove the widget, the actual speaker is little bigger than the head of a pin. Amazing. They sound pretty good and the cord is nice and long.

I guess this is what the kids are wearing these days although at under $10, I doubt it.

So the run went fine. My longest segment without walking was 15 minutes and it felt great - the new running form/gait makes a big difference. I didn't feel so great later that afternoon though.

The dress shoes I have for work are about 5 years old and whatever minimal cushion they once had is now completely gone. I refuse to wear them around the house because they make such a loud *clunking* sound.

You add that to the office floor which is little more than concrete with a thin veneer of carpet over it and it all amounts to a lot of pounding everyday. I would probably be better off if I walked around the office barefoot but I don't think my co-workers would go for it . . . .

So yesterday afternoon, my left knee began to really hurt. Why did everything feel so good this morning but start to hurt now . . . I wondered. Then it hit me . . . . Running in cushy running shoes for 40 minutes is probably no match for clunking around on concrete in the modern equivalent of a wooden clog for 8 hours.

The wife suggested I pick up some insoles for my work shoes. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a runner, but do have problems with my knees and usually wind up with significant pain after a workout. My trainer recommended using a foam roller. I was surprised that it actually worked. If I use it after each workout I don't have ANY knee pain! ;o)

Here's some info: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11556-0,00.html

And you can buy one for about $13 here:
http://www.foamerica.biz/white-foam-roller-36-long-x-6-diame.html

(I Google searched "foam roller, knee"... there were lots of hits!)

Hang in there and keep up the good work! Your dedication has (almost) inspired me to get back to the gym! ;o)