Saturday, January 24, 2009

On The Run - 1/24/09


3.34 mi / 40:09 min / 12:00 mpm

Almost broke that 12 minute mile barrier!

All along the harbor, there are sculptures that represent reinterpretations of trees. The sculpture pictured above is called "Fairy Tree" - the tree being big mushrooms. Good stuff.

I was listening to a podcast called "Running with the Pack" that my buddy Sean recommended. It's basically a couple of running geeks sitting around talking (from what I can gather after 1 episode). They were talking about how their fitness had slipped a little during the holiday's and one of them likened it to a "closer" in baseball.

The closer is the pitcher who takes to the mound in the last inning of a close game. If he delivers three "outs" and denies any runs to the opposing team, the pitcher's team will win. If he allows the other team to score, his team will lose. Everything is riding on one man . . .

The podcast talked about the importance of a "closer" having a short memory. When he takes to the mound, he cannot let his past failures haunt him. He also can't let past successes give him overconfidence. He has to have a short memory and be in the moment.

Of course, the podcast related this to fitness and dieting. Each day is a new day - don't let last night's cheesecake become today's excuse to give up etc . . . .

As I was running, it seemed to me that this "short memory" principle can be applied to a whole host of areas in our lives. I think that often times we don't make changes that we want to or need to in life because of something that we have done or that has happened in the past.

"I can't change and start doing "x" because all my friends know that I have always done "y" and they will know I am a hypocrite . . ."

"I can't do "c" because yesterday I blew it and did "a" and there's no point in trying . . ." etc.

I think that sometimes we need to willfully ignore yesterday in order to get on with today.

Just to give an example that is pathetic on a number of levels, this principle definitely applies to my running. For the longest time I scoffed at my friends who were runners only to finally agree to do a marathon - the 2006 Marine Corps Marathon - which I have been alternately training and injuring myself for going on 3 years now . . . (I have never run more than 8 miles at a stretch let-alone a marathon)

Anywho . . . that's my deep running thought for today . . .

On a more practical note, I was nervous about today's run. I have been alternating between walking and running and every day that I go out I walk one minute less and run one minute more. I am now running four minutes and walking one - running four etc . . . Today was the first day I was going to drop one of the remaining walking minutes which would end up in me running 10 minutes straight.

My concern is never "can I do it", my concern is always "will I injure myself" and I have a track record to prove that injury should be a primary concern of mine . . .

I stacked the 10 minutes at the end of my run this morning when I would be all warmed up and as the gizmo chimed in that it was time to start a-runnin', I took a deep breath and . . . why . . . . what's this . . .?

The Ipod had kicked up a JXL Remix of Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation" which comes from the "ELV1S - 30 #1 Hits" album. I am telling you it has got to be one of the all time greatest running songs ever! 3:33 minutes of pure, kickin', happy!

A big smile spread across my face as I dialed up the volume and picked up the pace. I had to keep reminding myself to slow it down before I hurt myself. I started bouncing to the beat . . . even the dawg seemed happy . . . I ran down the waterfront with my big dopey dawg, both of us wearing the same dopey grin . . .

I thought about how beautiful the overcast morning was . . . how great it was to be out with my favorite four-legged buddy . . . how happy I was that little Annabelle was home safe and sound . . . How proud I was of my wife that she was at home rallying the strength to go back to work today after the past two days we have had . . . .

Joyful, joyful, joyful . . . . and then I hit "Replay" and listened to it again . . .

I understand people who don't listen to music when they run - they want to commune with nature, hear the sounds around them . . . "deal with their demons" . . . and sometimes I run without music as well . . .

But man-o-man . . . the right song at the right time in a run can make you feel invincible . . . can help you to find strength you didn't know you had . . . make you want to raise your arms to the heavens and shout for joy . . .

And I don't even like Elvis . . . .

Good run.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Great post. A short memory can be a great tool for change.