Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend Adventures 2/16-2/18

WHOA!

Aaaaand we're back. Blogging in real time folks!

The cold has run it's course and all that is left is a few last vestiges of crud here and there.

The wife is back to working Saturdays so I had the house to myself. I did some general straightening, opened two weeks worth of mail, paid the bills, did the laundry and did some work on the new mantel I am making for the fireplace.

On Sunday we steeled ourselves and made the dreaded but inevitable trip to BABIES R US. It actually wasn't all that bad.

At this point, we aren't going to these stores in search of answers - we are going in search of questions. Since we don't even know what questions we should be asking, we wander up and down the aisles and every now and then stop and say, "Do we need that? I had no idea we would need that."

I have now read through the entire instruction manuel and my Excel spreadsheet is pretty much complete with all the major items - so far as I can tell.

We are beginning to formulate opinons about things - we like this, we don't like that, let's try and limit these . . .etc.

We are also coming to the realization that WE CAN'T AFFORD ALL THIS CRAP! Well, it's important for children to learn how to deal with dissapointment . . . Lesson #1.

Having realized that we can't afford all new furniture, today we are off to antique stores in search of old busted stuff coated with lead paint for the baby's nursery . . .

The wife got me to go into one antique store yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to learn how inexpensive used book shelves can be.

So its off to Old People's Row today. Hopefully we will be back in time to do some yard work and make some more progress on the mantel.

BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING A NEWBORN APPRECIATES MORE THAN A SHINY NEW MANTEL OVER THE FIREPLACE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please show me your excel spreadsheet; I need a good laugh. This stuff is only hard if you make it hard....

Sean said...

Glad you're back in real time. Man you had a serious backlog of posts. Oh, and you could probably whittle a crib out of that mantel of yours.