Thursday, February 21, 2008

What do you do with a Drunken Sailor?

Or better yet, what do you do with a pregnant insomniac and a barfing dawg?

Actually, you don't do anything for a pregant insomniac (or, should I say, this pregnant insomniac). The wife has always struggled with more than her fair share of insomnia and she assures me this is no different. The baby has nothing to do with it.

Insomnia before pregancy? "Man, you should try and relax - drink some tea"

Insomnia after pregnancy? "Oh my gosh! Consult the Prego-web!"

Guilty, as charged. Boooo Baby.

More importantly, I did learn what to do when your dawg is sick . . .

I called home yesterday morning and the wife reported that the dawg was sacked out on his bed and not making a lot of movements to indcate his position would be changing anytime soon.

I went home at 11am, as promised, to check on him. He greeted me at the door but would not eat any of his favorite treats. When your dawg spits a Beggin' Strip on the floor and walks away, its time to call the vet.

I scheduled a 5pm visit.

I think I have mentioned it before, the health plan at Banfield is GREAT! $25 a month covers all your office visits, routine shots and examinations. When the pooch is sick, you don't have to stand there wondering if he is "A $50 office visit fee" sick or just a "Wait and see" sick.

So I took him in and and the vet actually confirmed the perscription I had found on the web on my own.

When your dawg is throwing up, don't allow him to "re-load".

1) Take away all water and food for 12 hours.

2) After 12 hours, allow him to have water but no food.

3) After 12 hours with just water, feed him bland food only like boiled chicken, rice and cottage cheese (the vet gave me some fancy canned food).

4) If the dawg can handle the bland food for 12 hours, you are good to go.

If, as you are going through the process, your dawg's condition worsens, call the vet.

The vet made it sound like this sort of thing just happens with dawgs from time to time as they WILL EAT ANYTHING.

So next time I will know . . .

No comments: