=Post Posted=
I am glad we are pregant. Make no mistake. I have always wanted to be a father and if I could pick the perfect mother for my child, it would be my wife. That being said . . . .
I have concerns.
Challenge #1: Save my new job
First off, today begins the mad scramble at work. The boss will get my resignation when he powers up his PC and will begin to immediately farm all my clients out to my competitors. They will all get on the phone and try and convince my clients to abandon me and stick with the old company.
Meanwhile, I need to get on the phone and convince all my clients to follow me to the new company. It's me up against ten of my former co-workers-turned-competitors. That means working 3:45am to 5pm every day this week.
Challenge #2: Figure out the insurance debacle.
I need to contact HR at my old company and get the skinny on exactly when my insurance expires. I need to contact HR at my new company and figure out exactly when my insurance at the new job begins.
I need to figure out what the he** we are going to do in the gap between coverage.
Challenge #3: Get the wife and child to the Dr.
Once I figure out how to pay for it, the wife needs to GET TO THE DOCTOR!
Add to the mix that our dearest Seattle friends are staying with us for a week and you have the recipe for my head spinning 360, popping off and bursting into a fireworks show. If only I wasn't so tired . . .
I called HR at the old place. Turns out, we are covered to the end of February. Sweet! We can at least get one Dr. visit out of the way.
I called HR at my new Co. Turns out, my new coverage starts March 1st and pregnancy is not considered a "pre-existing condition". Sweet LORD in heaven above! We're covered!
I called the wife and gave her the good news. She asked me to call the Dr. and set the appointment.
I called the Dr. and explained the situation; The wife thinks we conceived December 3rd. That would make us 9 weeks along. The soonest the Dr. can see us?
March 14th.
"Now, we have never been pregnant before. This is our first child so I don't know what I am talking about . . . ." I began. "But shouldn't she come in to see you sooner? Isn't it urgent?"
"No", the recepionist said. "You'll be fine"
Who was I to argue?
"Ok, then. See you on the 14th of March."
I called the wife and gave her the news.
"MARCH 14TH!!??" she forcefully replied. "DID YOU TELL THEM I AM PREGNANT??!!"
"Yes", I responded. "The subject did come up."
The rest of the day was a blurr of work-frenzy. Getting set up on the computer, the phone, the scanner, the whosit and whatsit.
I came home whipped.
Day one of the new job and Day 3 of expectant fatherhood. Over.
No comments:
Post a Comment