Friday, February 29, 2008

Peace and Happiness

This is classic Lileks from this morning:
In the afternoon I went to the Parent-Teacher conference. Took (G)Nat along – she sat in the hall in the classic trepidacious posture of a child knowing her Future is being discussed by the Authorities. Before the conference we examined the art on the wall; there were several dozen Uncle Sams with placards indicating the policies of the student should he or she ascend to the executive position. About 2/3rds advocated the planting of trees; one-third indicated a willingness to use presidential power to ban smoking. Most said they would make sure there was peace and everyone was happy. I asked (G)Nat what she thought of that.

“I don’t think the president can do that,” she said. “The happy part I mean.” She read another one out loud: “I would let everyone do what they want and make everyone free.” She winced. “Everyone free? Let robbers out of jail? I don’t think so.”

Another platform plank: “I would put cameras everywhere to stop robbers.” I asked (G)Nat if she agreed. (She’s afraid of Robbers.)

“It wouldn’t work,” she said. “You can’t have cameras everywhere.”

“But what if they did have cameras everywhere outside? They might make sure no one could do anything wrong.”

“I don’t want to be on camera.”

“Even if it stopped robbers?”

She shook her head. “They would figure it out anyway. With eeeevil plans.”

That they would.

No comments: