Saturday, February 16, 2008

Weekend Adventures - 2/2/8

=Post-Posted=

I got up early Saturday morning to head into work. I have been working 13-hour days for the past week and I plan on working all weekend.

Since I am "post-posting" this, I can tell you that the reason for all these extra long hours is that I have been preparing to quit my job.

That's right. Without going into all the details, I am disgruntled and a company that I used to work for has made me an offer that will somewhat "ungruntle" me.

I plan on working all day Saturday and packing up my office on Sunday. The last thing I am going to do on Sunday is walk down the empty and darkened hall, drop my keys on the boss' desk, return to my computer and e-mail in my resignation. My first day at the new place is on Monday.

Again, without going into all the details, my job is not one where people give "notice". Were I to go into the boss and give him two-weeks, he would just tell me to pack my things immediately.

At least this way, I can leave under my own timing.

So there I was, working on my last Saturday with the Co.

Around 7pm, the wife called and asked me to, "Just come home". She was right, enough was enough.

I shut things down and was homeward bound.

When I got home, it was immediately obvious that the wife had not ticked off many of the chores she had set out for herself to do today and it made me wonder what had transpired and derailed her plans.

"Sit down", she said to me.

Okaay - it sounds like she has spent the day on the phone with a friend or family member in crises and I was about to get the "411".

I sat in my usual chair near the fireplace.

"No, sit next to me" she said, patting the couch.

"Ok", and I moved.

"We are going to have a baby", said the wife.

"Who's going to have a baby?", I replied.

"We are"

Things were not computing. We are very close to many of our friends and have even been designated godparents for some of their children. It would not be out of-the-question for one of our friends to be having a baby and the wife would refer to it as "We are having a baby".

"One of our friends is having a baby?", I ventured.

"No. We. You and me. Are having a baby."

Okay, now the wife was talking nonsense. In the movies, people have "relations" (I think is the appropriate term) and the female bolts out of bed in the morning and pukes in the toilet. Since my 13-hour a -day-seven-days-a-week schedule has cut into our "quality time" lately, there was no way we could be pregnant.

"But that's impossible!" I said.

"December 3rd", she replied.

"December 3rd?"

"December 3rd was when it happened"

According to my wife, we are having a baby.

3 comments:

SeanH said...

I went straightaway and read your blog on December 4th to see if it had a glow to it!

Holly said...

Oh brother.

Anonymous said...

What were you drinking on December 3rd! j.k.

D