Tuesday, December 9, 2008

On The Run - 12/9/8

2.24 mi / 38:51 min / 17:18 mpm

Yep. Forgot my phone again.

=Warning=: Anti-phone screediness at the end of the post

VFTW blogged a while back that he has started downloading podcasts of his favorite radio programs to his Ipod and listening to them when he is out running.

It is one of those things I have been meaning to get to but didn't get to until a couple of days ago.

I downloaded "Wait, Wait", "This American Life", "Weekend America", "Car Talk" and "Whadda Ya Know" all from NPR.

I AM HOOKED.

It is so great to listen to something a little more stimulating that mindlessly listening to the same music everyday which becomes little more than white noise after a while . . .

The only trouble is that you sort of look goofy laughing out loud as you go running past people on the street . . .

=begin screediness=

I muchly do not like phones. When you are with people in person, anyone of the most rudimentary manners will wait until the appropriate time to speak with you rather than interrupt.

With mail (e-mails as well), you can always set it aside until you are ready to deal with it.

But phones . . . arrrgggghhh . . . BANG! BANG! BANG! Stop what you are doing! Drop everything! Attend to me NOW!

Add to it that you don't even know who it is that is so rudely interrupting you.

And don't get me started on people who ONLY CALL - NEVER USE E-MAIL - BUT NEVER LEAVE VOICE MAILS - ugggh. It's the equivalent of a toddler pulling on his father's pant leg and screaming while dad is trying to carry on a conversation with another adult . . .

I don't mind other people's phones (so long as the ringer isn't turned up so loud everyone within a two-block radius is subjected to a mangled version of Brittney Spears' latest travesty) and I don't mind other people on their phones (so long as they speak into it like a phone instead of screaming into it as if the conversation was being conducted via two megaphones) - I just don't want the beastly thing demanding my immediate attention.

And now, oh the joy! Just to make sure that we absolutely NEVER GET ANY TIME TO OURSELVES we get to carry one of these interminable noise-making interrupters in our pockets!

So I have an aversion to phones in general and an outright dislike of carrying a cell phone. But it's life in the 21st century I suppose and it is probably not the best idea for anyone to go running without one (especially someone as injury-prone as I am).

Anyway, that's probably why I forgot my cell phone the past couple of days . . . Thank you for listening . . .

=End screediness=