2.80 mi / 47:54 min / 17:05 mpmThat's my new fancy running watch ($10 at Target).
Because it has been so long since I have done any actual running (have I ever?), I am following a beginner's schedule out of the Complete Book of Running.
Step 1 was to walk 20 minutes everyday for 4 days. Then to walk 30 minutes a day for 4 days.
Now comes the time to start building in some running (a minute here, a couple of minutes there). Hence, the need for a stopwatch.
Which brings me to the question, when is "running" running?
Obviously, walking is not running. But there is a large population out there who actually complete marathons based on a philosophy of alternating a few minutes running with a few minutes walking. If you are running 5 minutes and then walking 1 minute, is that "a run"?
Can you really say you "ran" a marathon if you walked a percentage of it?
And what about those who don't walk - they pick their feet a little higher than walking and extend them a little further than walking but they don't actually move much faster than walking. Are they running or jogging? Is there a difference?
I suspect that the answer is similar to a bumper sticker I once saw that read "If you drive faster than me, you are a maniac. If you drive slower, you're an idiot"
"I'm a runner. If you move faster than me, you are a sprinter. If you move slower, you're a jogger."
For the past couple of weeks, I have told my wife that I was going out for a "run" when in reality I was going out for a brisk walk. But no one says "I'm going out for a brisk walk".
Truth is, if I was in better shape I would actually be going out for a run but I have learned that if I push myself too hard too fast, I will just end up with an injury. Which . . . now that I think about it . . . has happened every time I have started running regularly.
So I suppose that "running", like the bumper sticker, is a matter of perspective and maybe even intent.
My intent this morning was to go for a run - in reality, I walked 20 minutes, ran for one minute and walked another 20 minutes. But I moved my body as fast and as far as I could without risking injury.
And I had a good run.
PS
Attentive readers may have noticed that my opening stats said I ran 48 minutes but that I have only accounted for 40 minutes of that time.
That is because I have finally answered that age-old question of "How long do I have to run in circles through the bushes with a stranger's half-eaten sandwich to be deemed socially acceptable?"
Answer: About 7 minutes, 54 seconds.
Details tomorrow . . .
4 comments:
When is running, running? I'm not a runner. I can't stand to run. As a matter of fact, anything that is over a walk is running to me. I don't even jog. My body detests anything over a fast walk. So I guess that's my definition of running. I've tried it, tried to work up to it, tried with different shoes, and I hate it. I just can't do it. But walk, hey I love that. I love to walk so much that I've made a desk on my treadmill. Yep, I work while I walk. I call it "wolking". Love it. So for those of you who aren't runners, there are alternatives! And those of you who run, enjoy it for the both of us.
Michelle & Emily
Buckley, WA
Great post! All of starting out (and still) have this discussion with ourselves. If you are pushing yourself, that is all that matters. And stay away from the Pearl Izumi running shoe ads.
A couple of quotes:
"A runner is someone who runs; it’s that simple--and that grand. Be that someone. Be yourself. Be your own runner.” --Mark Will-Weber
“The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank.” --George Sheehan
I like that "entry blank" quote. I'll point out that none of my marathon medals say "runner" on them.
They all say "FINISHER".
Exercise is exercise - no matter what kind of label you put on it! Good for you!!!!
Post a Comment