Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christians and Pagans

Last year, The View From Two Wheels had a post containing his new favorite Christmas song.

I liked it so much, I thought I would post it again. . . .



A while back a very dear friend of ours said he would link to my wife's blog only on the condition that she take off a link to her cousin's blog who understands gender in a nontraditional fashion.

My wife's unequivocal response was "pound sand, she's family".

Of course, it didn't exactly go down that way in word so much as in deed. And of course, proving once again that we have some of the best friends on earth, he shortly thereafter put up the link.

The point is not silly links to inconsequential blogs. The point is people that we love. Not because we agree, not because we see eye to eye on every matter, but because we see in the other person something we wish we ourselves possessed; a measure of passion about a worthy cause, a measure of love, a measure of compassion for those who are hurting.

Oh, how I admire so much in so many of my friends whose theology and politics are different than mine. Sure, I wish they thought and believed as I do but given the choice between a Christmas dinner with some of the conservative "frozen chosen" that I know or one surrounded by people who are passionate about laughing and loving and lifting - without a theological or political litmus test . . . well, I'll chose the latter.

The wine is usually better anyway . . . .

No comments: