Thursday, December 18, 2008

Not What You Think . . .

I am not a big country music fan . . . although a cute redhead in college who spoke with a Southern twang had me wearing cowboy boots, watching CMTV and chewing tobacco . . . for all of two weeks until we broke up . . .

That being said, I like this country guy . . . He is not what you think . . . .

Here are the lyrics to one of his songs:

Get Busy Living

Every single day
Someone is born
And someone dies.
It wasn't long ago
My uncle passed and
My little niece came to life.

I get to thinking
About my time to go and
It won't be long from now . . .
I shiver inside at the chance
That I might lead a life
Untouched by a vow . . .

And I beleive tonight
Is the night that I decide
That I get busy living and
I get ready to die.

So that when the fateful day does come
When I'm six feet in the ground,
The poor and the week and
The orphan and meek
Will miss having me around.

When I pass I don't want to
Leave a life of regret
So I give rise to change today
By trying not to forget

That pleasures do pass
And sunrises end
and stars do
fade away

But its love and
Its virtue and
Honor and truth
That remain for all days.

And I beleive tonight
Is the night that I decide
That I get busy living and
I get ready to die.

So that when the fateful day does come
When I'm six feet in the ground,
The poor and the week
The orphan and meek
Will miss having me around.

I want that final breath
To be the sweetest of all
And it will be with certainty
If I answer the call.

To help all those in need
And decipher the meaning of life
'Cause the seekers of truth
They fear not death
Anymore than they fear life

And I beleive tonight
Is the night that I decide
That I get busy living and
I get ready to die.

So that when the fateful day does come
When I'm six feet in the ground,
The poor and the week
The orphan and meek
Will miss having me around.


What makes him different is that he is a country music singer - who happens to be Muslim . . . . Here is a YouTube video set to the song above:



I heard his interview on Weekend America on one of my runs . . .

I have a lot of problems with the Muslim faith . . . but Kareem Salama does an excellent job of pointing out the things we have in common. And I think that is a good thing right now . . .

In fact, if all you did was listen to the entire new album (without watching the videos or hearing the radio interview), you would probably come to the conclusion that he was an especially spiritual Christian Country Music singer.

I have felt for some time that the Muslim faith is in need of a reformation along the lines of the Christian Reformation in the 16th century. It might be a good idea for those who feel the same to support the Muslims who are trying to bring their faith into the 21st century.

Now check out this video set to one of his songs . . .



And another:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta admit it man, I listed to a few of the songs on the CD you gave me and I'm now officially a fan of the Muslim Country singer...weird