2.34 mi / 40:12 min / 17:10 mpmThis was the first day that I really did not want to run.
We had stayed out later than usual at the wife's office Christmas party and when I got home I was too tired to shower before hitting the hay. Always a bad idea for me as for some inexplicable reason I usually do not sleep well unless I take a shower in the evenings.
Sure enough, I was up before the concrete guys and the bakers - I was up with the college kids (who hadn't gone to bed yet) - 1am-2am.
When we lived in Seattle, I spent some time waiting tables at a steakhouse. Occasionally, I would wait tables in the bar which would close promptly at 2am by state mandate. And I mean PROMPTLY - if you weren't done with your food and drink, it was taken from you and you were hustled to the door. It wasn't the bar's policy - it was the state's policy - and they were strict.
I still remember the feeling of looking out across the now silent bar (silent except for the music that the staff turned up at 2am) and the collection of glassware and tables that needed to be bussed and wiped down.
We only had one car at the time and by virtue of opposing work schedules, the wife would have to come pick me up around 2:30am or so. Most often, she would show up in pajamas and help with the bussing. Sometimes she would stretch out in a booth and sleep while we finished up - exhausted from her own full day of work.
The bartender referred to her as our "fairly busser" - the one that shows up in the middle of the night and magically clears the tables.
But I digress . . .
I finally got back to sleep last night and what a sleep it was! You know, the kind where you barely awake and all is toasty and warm and comfortable and you are convinced that you could sleep the entire day away if allowed . . .
It was cold outside. I was sure of it. And dark. The forecasters are calling for the first real storm the year to hit this weekend so I was also convinced that all was soaking outside - if not, it soon would be.
So dark, cold, wet and me toasty warm and still trying to make up for a late night . . .
Unfortunately, I also knew that unless I got up and made an effort, the wife would be off to work with the car and I would end up having to hoof it around the hood pushing the stroller. If I get up know, it will just be me and the dawg at Balboa Park . . . .
Arrrrgh . . .
So I did get up - eliciting a groan from the still sleeping wife.
And, although it was dark, it wasn't nearly as cold as I expected and it hadn't and wasn't raining. The dawg and I had a great run and are now safely back at home watching the storm clouds rolling in with the satisfaction of knowing that we beat the storm to the punch this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment