Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm A Runner

I found this interview with CBS News Correspondant Kimbery Dozier to be inspiring.

Teaser:

When I was in Baghdad in 2006, I was hit by a car bomb and nearly killed. My eardrums were blown out, I had shrapnel in my brain, and I lost more than half my blood. But my legs had the most damage; both femurs were fractured.

The first time I ran again, in November 2006, I went maybe 29 seconds. My cardio was shot, and it felt like I was running through sludge. But my legs worked! Now I'm running 11- or 12-minute miles.

I often wear really stiff Brooks. My right leg had so much damage that I was canting to one side, and I needed something to keep me running straight.

After living in the Middle East, I became fairly modest with what I wear running.

And now that my legs have so many scars and misshapen pits, troughs, and valleys, this suits where I am.

No comments: