Well, she's a hot one.
Saturday, I went for a run, took the cat to the vet, came home and had some lunch. It was 103. We don't have air-conditioning. All thoughts of housework or yard work evaporated. The dawg was miserable.
"Why are we here?", I thought to myself, "when we could be swimming at the beach?" I left a note for the wife who was at work - and off we went.
When I surf, I have a sneaky little routine that allows me to lock the car (mostly) and hide the key since the electronic key cannot get wet. We arrived at the beach, I stripped down to nothing but swimming trunks and a pair of sunglasses - released the hound and went through my usual surfing lock-up routine - with - one - small - variation.
It was wonderful! The dawg swam for the first time and it was all he wanted to do. So we walked, and swam, and wrestled with other dogs, and swam some more. It was a beautiful afternoon at the beach - upper 80's, cloudless sky.
It came time to pack it up and we headed back to the car - well, you know what's coming next. Locked out. Whoopsie. I had nothing but my swim trunks, a pair of sunglasses and a dawg without a leash. No wallet, no cel phone, no shoes, not even a towel to dry off. I also didn't have any phone numbers.
In today's world of cel phones that store numbers, caller id and speed dials, who memorizes phone numbers anymore? I don't even know my wife's cel phone number. I walked, barefoot, to the nearest payphone and dialed the one number I knew - my home number. No answer. The wife was out with friends after work.
To make a long and not terribly interesting post short, the dawg and I walked 3 1/2 miles in 90 degree heat, barefoot, along oh-so-hot pavement and asphalt to our friends house. Quite a spectacle we were - dawg off leash, me without a stitch of clothing - save my American flag swim trunks - hobbling down the searing pavement.
We made it to our friends house and their hospitality was great as usual. In the end, I got a hold of my wife and a locksmith and all was set right.
But let me tell you, its a hot one - and I have the blisters on the bottom of both feet to prove it.
Oi.
No comments:
Post a Comment