Wednesday, September 5, 2007

On The Run, 09/05/07

4.75 miles / 50:20 min / 10:35 mpm

So there I sat, in the 5am darkness, tying my shoes and anticipating this morning’s run. Let’s see.

1) I have blisters on the bottoms of both my feet from my Saturday Weekend Adventures

2) Because I have blisters, I haven’t run in four days

3) Today will be the maiden voyage in a brand new pair of shoes (the ones I got in June had a piece of tread coming off so I traded them for a new pair yesterday)

4) Today is the day I am supposed to add time / mileage to my run and that means adding in a couple hills or retracing my steps (which I hate to do)

What could possibly go wrong?

Better leave the dawg at home. After all, he is still a puppy and it might be bad for him to see the “Big Dawg” fall to pieces half-way through.

Turns out, things went just fine. It was hard, but that had more to due with my expanding waistline than my feet.

School is back in session and that means hoards of college students flooding the city. Morning runs are no different. It seems like you can’t turn a corner without having to dodge a female coed.

There is something about running in the presence of college-aged gals that causes a 37-year-old, slightly-over-weight, decade-and-a-half-married, running-hack like myself suck it up and work to keep his composure.

Never let ‘em see you sweat – ‘er, if they do, don’t let them see you cry about it.

This is one of the wife's favorite spots at Balboa Park. It is a grove of magnolia tress that is wonderful.

No comments: