Sunday morning I did this.
Okay, there is something surreal about posting a blog and then posting another blog linking to your previous blog.
I might as well just do this.
ANYWAY. The point is, I made further progress on the great retaining wall project in the front yard on Sunday. No, I don't actually have anything built yet - no, I don't have all the supplies purchased - and no, what wood I have purchased is not all stained yet. BUT! I have made substantial headway on digging out the trench, painstakingly leveling each landscape tie where it will eventually go. It's no pic-nic.
My front yard slopes left to right (or right to left depending on which way you are facing). I want the first landscape tie at the highest point to be flush with the ground. The next tie slides half-way under the first and the next one slides half-way under that and so on so that the top of the retaining wall remains level while the lot slopes away. Fascinating, I know.
I had to borrow a hatchet from the neighbor to hack out a root 3 inches in diameter that was impeding progress. A few feet later I came across another root about 1/2 inch thick and reached for the hatchet when I though to myself, "That's an awfully straight root".
"Put the hatchet down, step away from the trench, keep your hands where we can see them."
Turns out, it was the gas main. That was a close one.
Couple more weekends and I should be able to start actually building the wall.
Rounded out the day with a drink, a Dawg, a cigar and a book all on the back deck.
It's Monday - time to figure out a way to pay for all this stuff . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment