Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On The Run, 09/19/07

2.72 miles / 27:56 min / 10:15 mpm

I am a person who likes routine. I find great comfort in the familiar.

Although I have been doing this running thing pretty consistently for the past 9 months, it has never felt totally routine. Heading out with a 11-month old puppy Dawg, trying to build an initial running base and collection of injuries, all have added enough variables to ward off any feelings of comfortable routine. Until this morning.

Maybe it was because all I had to say to the dawg was "let's go" and he was at the front door, then hopping in the car unbidden. Maybe it was because the run just felt good. In any case, it was the routine, the familiar this morning and it felt great.

I awoke with my head buzzing with all kinds of confusing thoughts this morning. It feels like there is a lot going on right now.

I have heard that back in the days of leaded gasoline it was good for your car to take it out on the highway and "open her up" - "give her the gas" and really get that engine moving to blow out the carbon build-up. I don't know if there is any truth to it - sort of sounds like one of those urban myths.

Myth or no, that's what the run felt like this morning. Routine, familiar, comforting. I "gave her the gas" and it helped to blow out some gunk in my head. With my head a little clearer, I decided to cut the run short and head home to take care of some things before work.

That - and the bathrooms don't open until 7am.




Note to self: Eating a big-herkin' steak the night before a run isn't such a good idea . . .

No comments: