Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hash

I don't often go for the sweet breakfasts. I much prefer salty meat and eggs. One of my favorite breakfasts is corned beef hash. Or, at least it would be if I could find some decent hash.

Most places you go serve up some sort of pureed corned beef pate sort of thing that makes you wonder if it came in powdered form. "Just add water!"

The best hash I have ever had was at the Scarlett Tree in Greenlake. They take the previous night's prime rib and dice it up for a hash that will make you weep.

This past Sunday, the wife and I took the dawg for a walk and then thought we would treat ourselves to breakfast out. The wife said we could go anywhere I wanted so I headed downtown to an Irish Pub (naturally) that has a big sign outside announcing b-fast at 7am everyday.

The only trouble was, I could not find any parking. We meandered through downtown and parked a few blocks away. In between the car and the pub, we stumbled upon Cafe 222 which boasts the "Best Breakfast" in San Diego 4-years running.

The wife had heard they were famous for their pumpkin waffles (a favorite of hers) and they had dawg-friendly seating so we decided to stay.

I ordered the hash. Glorious, wonderful, delightful hash! It was no Scarlett Tree, but it is easily the best hash I have had in southern cal. And they had pictures of the Pike Place Market in the bathroom and they brought water and a milk bone for the dawg.

So the next time you are in SD looking for really good pumpkin waffles or wonderful hash or a dawg-friendly breakfast place or pictures of Seattle in the bathroom, Cafe 222 is the place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Cafe 222's website is beautiful! Did you read about the owner?