Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Soul Food - 1/30/08

God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

- Genesis 3:14

Point of Interest:

The proper Hebrew name for God is “Yahweh” which means “He is”

Any time you see the word “LORD” capitalized in the NIV version, it means the proper name for God is being used.

Incidentally, the texts do not spell out “Yahweh” but rather “YHWH” because the proper name for God was considered so holy that to write it out correctly might lead to taking the LORD’s name in vain.

It is this proper name, “Yahweh” that is meant when the scripture says to not take the name of the LORD in vain; although the logical extension of that in an evolving society with many languages is that any reference to God should be used only with the greatest care, respect and reverence.

No comments: